Hannes MeyerBack to previous page
Palace of the League of Nations, Geneva
In their design for the Palace of the League of Nations, Hannes Meyer and Hans Wittwer were guided by the nature and goals of the League of Nations, founded in 1920.
Cooperative children’s home in Mümliswil, Switzerland
The cooperative children’s home in Mümliswil was the only commission that former Bauhaus director Hannes Meyer was able to realize in his native Switzerland after his stay in the Soviet Union. In 1939 he ultimately travelled further to Mexico.
Competition design for the Petersschule, Basel
In 1926/27, Hannes Meyer and Hans Wittwer, who later built the ADGB school (Federal School for the German Trade Unions) in Bernau near Berlin together, experimented with constructivist forms and functionalist methods. These formed the basis for their competition designs for the Petersschule (St. Peter’s school) in Basel.
The “School in the Woods” as a Socio-pedagogical Ideal
The building theory classes at the Bauhaus focused on imparting a functional understanding of architecture. Building had become a science. As a result, the ADGB Trade Union School was designed logically from the inside out, with the requirements of the residents and dictates of the natural environment determining the form arising from the environmental and materials studies. Walter Peterhans’ photographs of the school images illustrate both the architect’s intentions for the building and the environmental studies conducted by Bauhaus students.
Houses with Balcony Access, Dessau-Törten
The houses with balcony access were part of a larger plan for expansion of the Dessau-Törten housing estate and the first joint project of the Bauhaus architecture department under Hannes Meyer.
ADGB Trade Union School, Bernau
The Federal School of the German Trade Union Federation in Bernau, designed by Hannes Meyer, Hans Wittwer and the building department at the Bauhaus in Dessau, is still regarded today as a paradigmatic example of functional architecture. All the interiors were designed by the Bauhaus workshops in Dessau.