AEG Turbine Hall, Berlin
Peter Behrens, 1908–1909
The Turbine Hall was designed by Peter Behrens for AEG in 1908/09. Its main façade is composed of a large-scale, supporting glazed surface flanked by Egyptianesque corner towers and a crowning, polygonal gable. The latter features the inscription “Turbine Factory” and the AEG signet, which was also designed by Behrens. Viewed as a unit, the glazed surface area and gable take on the shape of a hammer, while the façade as a whole, together with the lateral façade that achieves a sense of rhythm by alternating triple cantilever beams and windows, awakens associations with a Greek temple.
- Jaeggi, Annemarie (1998): Fagus. Industriekultur zwischen Werkbund und Bauhaus, Berlin.
- Bußmann, Klaus (1992): 1910 – Halbzeit der Moderne. Van de Velde, Behrens, Hoffmann und die Anderen, Stuttgart.