Folding Chair

Alfred Arndt, 1928

Stiftung Bauhaus Dessau / Archiv Alfred und Gertrud Arndt, Alexandra und Hugo Bormann-Arndt / © VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn 2016.
Folding Chair, design: Alfred Arndt, 1928 / production: Schlosserei Itting, Probstzella,

[Translate to English:] Text

Between 1926 and 1929, Alfred Arndt mainly lived in the town of Probstzella in Thuringia. Here, he was commissioned by Franz Itting to oversee the construction of the Haus des Volkes (house of the people). Designed by Arndt and other Bauhaus members, some of the interior furnishings of the building were subsequently produced at the Dessau workshops. The light, folding chair belonged to the inventory of the Roter Saal (red hall), where dance evenings, meetings, theatre performances and film presentations were held.

[AG 2015]

  1. Literature:
  2. Bauhaus-Archiv /Museum für Gestaltung (1999): In der Vollendung liegt die Schönheit. Der Bauhaus-Meister Alfred Arndt, Berlin.
  • # Alfred Arndt
  • # Design
  • # Joinery

More articles on this topic

Newsletter Bauhaus Kooperation

The newsletter Bauhaus Kooperation informs at irregular intervals about news from the Bauhaus Kooperation Berlin Dessau Weimar.

    To the top