Bauhaus in the metropolis
From 1932 until it was closed in 1933 under the pressure of the National Socialists Berlin was also the third and last city in which the Bauhaus was located. Bauhaus master Johannes Itten also founded his own art college in Berlin in 1926, with Georg Muche and Lucia Moholy, among others, teaching there. Designer and architect Marcel Breuer and graphic artist Herbert Bayer also had offices in the capital after their time at the Bauhaus.
Following their period in exile, two of the directors of the Bauhaus returned to the metropolis on the River Spree: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe designed the Neue Nationalgalerie (New National Gallery) in 1967; and Walter Gropius designed the Gropius-Stadt, named after him, in 1960, as well as the building that houses the Bauhaus-Archiv / Museum für Gestaltung. The latter was originally intended to be built in Darmstadt, but was adapted for Berlin starting in 1968 and opened there in 1979. It now holds the world’s largest collection of materials on the Bauhaus. To coincide with the centenary of the Bauhaus, the Bauhaus-Archiv is having an extension built, with the state of Berlin and the Federal Government each sharing half of the total cost of € 56 million.
As one of the cities in which the Bauhaus was originally located, Berlin will be playing a central role in the centenary celebrations in 2019. The centenary year will start there in 2019 with an inaugural festival featuring a large number of performances, concerts, film showings and discussion events. The finale of the bauhaus imaginista World Tour will also take place there. In addition, the Bauhaus-Archiv / Museum für Gestaltung will also be making its own contributions to exhibition series being held in 2017 and 2019.
More articles on this topic
Newsletter Bauhaus Kooperation
The newsletter Bauhaus Kooperation informs at irregular intervals about news from the Bauhaus Kooperation Berlin Dessau Weimar.