From Grassi to Hellerau and Zwenkau
In the Grassi Museum of Applied Arts in Leipzig, Josef Albers designed the largest glass surface created during the Bauhaus period. The “Rundling” residential complex in Leipzig – whose moniker refers to the circular arrangement of its 300 flats – exemplifies the pioneering communal housing of the 1930s. The Church of Reconciliation (Versöhnungskirche) in Leipzig is also well worth a visit, as it is an important historical monument of classic modernism.
The state capital of Dresden saw construction of a modern factory as early as 1908: the Deutsche Werkstätten Hellerau. And Germany’s first garden city, Dresden-Hellerau – which was closely connected to the Deutscher Werkbund – was built nearby starting in 1909.
The Hellerau Festival Theatre was built as a centre for rhythmical musical education, or Rhythmics, in 1911. Today it houses the Hellerau – European Centre for the Arts Dresden, offering numerous theatre, dance and music performances. In Löbau, the Schminke House (Haus Schminke) beckons visitors. Hans Scharoun designed it in 1930 in the New Architecture style for the noodle manufacturer Fritz Schminke, who wanted a modern and extravagant home. And at the Rabe House (Haus Rabe) in Zwenkau, Oskar Schlemmer added his unmistakable signature with elaborate interior decoration.
In Leipzig – the world’s capital of books and typography at the beginning of the 20th century – the German Museum of Books and Writing at the German National Library looks at a classic of the New Typography – Jan Tschichold – whose modernity is still stylistically influential to this day. To mark the centenary, the German Museum of Books and Writing at the German National Library in Leipzig is devoting attention to the typography of the Bauhaus, which is a unique hallmark that Saxony draws attention to with pride.
GRASSI Museum of Applied Arts
Architects: Zweck & Voigt, Hubert Ritter (1925–29), windows designed by Josef Albers
Johannisplatz 5, 04103 Leipzig
Church of Reconciliation in Leipzig
Architect: Hans Heinrich Grotjahn (1930–32)
Franz-Mehring-Straße 44 (at the corner of Viertelsweg), 04157 Leipzig
Garden City of Hellerau
Architects: Richard Riemerschmid, Heinrich Tessenow, Hermann Muthesius (1909 onward), 01109 Dresden
Hellerau Festival Theatre
Architect: Heinrich Tessenow (1911)
Karl-Liebknecht-Straße 5, 01109 Dresden
Architect: Hans Scharoun (1930)
Kirschallee 1b, 02708 Löbau
Interior design: Oskar Schlemmer (1930)
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 26, 04442 Zwenkau
Saxony is making many contributions to the centenary year celebrations at varied locations, including:
“Reconstruction of the Future”, European Centre for the Arts in Dresden Hellerau
“Heimo Zobernig – Demonstration Space”, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen (State Art Collections), Dresden
“Der moderne Blick”, publication, Stiftung Haus Schminke, Löbau
“Marianne Brandt” competition, Villa Arte e.V., Chemnitz
“Im Zickzack durch das Jahrhundert der Typographie – aus dem Nachlass von Jan Tschichold”, German Museum of Books and Writing (DBSM), Leipzig
“The Printing Arts in 1919: The Bauhaus and its Forerunners in Graphics” (working title), Museum of the Printing Arts, Leipzig
More articles on this topic
Newsletter Bauhaus Kooperation
The newsletter Bauhaus Kooperation informs at irregular intervals about news from the Bauhaus Kooperation Berlin Dessau Weimar.